Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cyber Classical #63

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Burhan Ocal: Orient Secret/ Classical Ensemble of Istanbul
(L'empreinte Digitale)


Classical music from 18th century Turkey. Since I get to do the show on my own this week, Bryant being stuck in Michigan somewhere, I am taking the opportunity to play whatever the heck I want to. And today I want to hear recordings I haven't heard before -- it's the thrill of the new which keeps me going, and it's all new to me -- and you the listener!

10:05 ---
Bryant is back home (he just IM'd me) safe and sound if frozen. I'll get his take on the music I'm playing and post it here so we can still have our dialogue.

Anton Webern: Six Orchestral Pieces op. 6/ Sinopoli, Staatskapelle Dresden (Teldec)

Really rich recorded sound on this disc; and the music has its large moments as well as Webern's patented minimal quietnesses.

Pierre Boulez: Pli Selon Pli. Last Movement, "Tombeau"/ Boulez, BBC Symphony, Phyllis Bryn-Julson, soprano (Erato).

Successor to Webern in many ways, this is a largely orchestral section of a larger work setting poems of Mallarmé. Like the Webern it has its big orchestral moments, but ends on a prolonged quietness....The Tombeau is in memory of Verlaine, who inspired the poem. I love all the cultural cross connections -- and all the artists involved are heroes of newness - my theme for the night!

Mieczyslaw Weinberg: Symphony #5 (1962). Gabriel Chmura, Nat. Polish Radio Sym. (Chandos).


Angular and almost traditional, the music has a lot of Central European gestures; it's bold yet relaxed and lyrical in places. Multi-tonal. I like the last movement which insinuates itself into the ear and goes out like so many of tonight's pieces into quietness...

Update: Bryant had a bad trip; his window broke and he drove most the way exposed to the coldest day of the year. But he's home and dry now and listening to Cyber Classical. Tomorrow's his first day at his new position with Time Out Chicago. We're both at the beginnings of interesting and multi-faceted jobs, my third week at WFMT selling ads starts tomorrow, and I'm loving it so far. More as the events multiply....

Moritz Moskowski: New Spanish Dances for piano 4 hands (op 23). Ulrich Koella & Gerard Wyss.(Tudor)

Gerry: More "new" music. Fills the space nicely. Salon music with a slight edge.

Bryant from home: i loved the duo piano work: concise, ever-changing, and very melodic. That was a lot of fun. Who wrote it? Moszkowski?
RadioDePaul (11:07:35 PM): yes
PaceBM (11:07:44 PM): A gem I do say
RadioDePaul (11:07:58 PM): I'll post that thought.


Anton Arensky: Piano Trio No. 1 Op 32/Borodin Trio (Chandos)


Bryant:When I interviewed the Manhattan Piano Trio's manager last week, he said this was his favorite trio ever. I've yet to hear, so glad you're playing it!

Gerry: This performance by the Borodin Trio has to be the best available. They do put a lot of soul into it. 2nd movement is so suave.

Shostakovich: Piano Trio #2/ Vadim Repin, violin, Dmitry Yablonsky, piano, Boris Berezovsky, piano (Erato).

A couple of my favorite Russian musicians, good pals in real life (Vadim & Boris). It's a real gem of a performance. So to bed...

No comments: